I remember when I had my first child we were in the middle of a heat wave, I had to get out of the house so I packed up and went to the mall. It was great to get out walk around and see something other than the inside of my house.
Going to the mall with your baby is a very popular thing to do for new moms, especially when the weather is too hot or too cold. It is important to remember that the guidelines for safe sleep still apply even out of the crib. Overheating baby is a SIDS risk factor and when babies are left in their coats, hats and snowsuits they overheat quickly. Also it is never recommended that you have the plastic weather cover over the stroller while you are indoors.
Here are some tips to remember when you are in the mall
- Take baby out of the car seat and put them in the stroller when possible
- Remove any heavy blankets and unzip or remove any weather covers, especially off infant carriers
- Take coats and hats off
- Do not lay coats (especially yours) over baby’s stroller
- Check the back of baby’s neck periodically if it is hot or sweaty, baby is overheated
- Do not overload the handles of the stroller with parcels
See you next time for more safe sleep tips! Follow Yolanda on Twitter @cdninfsafesleep or ask her questions in the comments below.